Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lenten Readings from Me-Ville: Day 8

Has this ever happened to you? The [worship] music starts to a familiar tune, and your mind drifts along, enjoying the light, essentially noncommittal moment. Maybe there’s a little swaying going on, and in your peripheral vision you can see a hand or two in the air, waving like they just don’t care. And you decide that you don’t need to look at the song book in front of you or at the giant TV screen above you, because you’ve been singing this song for years, and you know the lyrics like the backs of your waving, noncommittal hands. So you enjoy the moment and sing right through it: “Thou, O Lord, are my heart’s desire, and I long to worship me.”

Wait! “Thee”—I meant “thee!”

***

Copyright 2008 Cook Communications Ministries. Deliver Us From Me-Ville by Dave Zimmerman. Used with permission. May not be further reproduced. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Both Inspiration and Cautionary Tale: Excerpts from Middling

What follows is an excerpt from the Winter 2021 edition of Middling, my quarterly newsletter on music, books, work, and getting older. I'...