Friday, January 01, 2010

Have You Heard the Word?

As promised, what follows is the key to the 2009 "Year of the Beatles" Zimmerman Christmas letter. To recap: 50 Beatles references—plus two extra credit selections. Pencils down, people . . .

1. Do you want to know a secret? Do You Want to Know a Secret?
2. “You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead” Two of Us
3. Tell me what you see! Tell Me What You See
4. A splendid time is guaranteed for all . . . Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
5. Happy ever after in the marketplace? Ob-la-di Ob-la-da
6. It’s all too much for me to take . . . all the world’s a birthday cake. It’s All Too Much
7. She became a legend of the silver screen. Honey Pie
8. “They’re gonna make a big star out of me!” Act Naturally
9. It felt a little like she was leaving home (bye, bye). She’s Leaving Home
10. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! She Loves You
11. “I wanna hold your hand.” I Wanna Hold Your Hand
12. “Keep your hands to yourself!” I’m Down
13. “It’s getting better all the time!” Getting Better
14. He’s been traveling here, there and everywhere. Here, There and Everywhere
15. Some days it seems he’s gone halfway across the universe. Across the Universe
EXTRA CREDIT!!! He is developing a fab new style. "Fab 4" or When We Was Fab (George Harrison)
16. “Dear Sir or Madam, could you read my book?” Paperback Writer
17. “Don’t bother me.” Don’t Bother Me
18. Soon we’ll be away from here; step on the gas. You Never Give Me Your Money
19. The world going by your window. I’m Only Sleeping
20. I should have known better. Should Have Known Better
21. Like pigs from a gun. I Am the Walrus
22. “We can work it out!” We Can Work It Out
23. Dig it! Dig It
24. Though we ran and hid our heads, we both got sick and wondered if we might as well be dead. Rain
25. La la la, la la la la la. From Me to You
26. She’d love you to. Love You To
27. In a strange (very strange) turn of events ... Penny Lane
28. Boys—what a bundle of joy! Boys
29. Your voice is soothing, but the. words aren’t clear. I’m Looking Through You
30. Paperback writer Dave ... Paperback Writer
31. I’m so proud to know that she is mine. Good Day Sunshine
32. Dave would post to Twitter and Facebook every little thing he does. Every Little Thing
33. He ... seems to think “Everybody’s trying to be my baby.” Everybody’s Trying to Be My Baby
34. “I’m a loser.” I’m a Loser
35. I’m fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wondering where it will go . . . Fixing a Hole
36. All it needs is love ... All You Need Is Love
37. But we decided to let it be. Let It Be
38. Christ, you know it ain’t easy; you know how hard it can be. Ballad of John and Yoko
39. Tomorrow never knows ... Tomorrow Never Knows
40. Get back, Loretta! Your mama’s waiting for you. Get Back
41. We ran for our lives ... Run for Your Life
42. Dave wakes up every day to Lacey shouting “Good morning! Good morning!” Good Morning, Good Morning
43. ... And gets home every afternoon to find Lucy at the door, clutching forks and knives to eat the fish medley. Little Piggies
44. It helps that there’s a place where we can go ... There’s a Place
45. You say it’s your birthday? It’s my birthday too, yeah! Birthday
46. I guess you could say we get by with a little help from our friends. With a Little Help from My Friends
47. We do appreciate your being ‘round. Help!
48. All you need is love; love is all you need. All You Need Is Love
EXTRA CREDIT!!! Happy Christmas! Happy Christmas (War Is Over)
49. Here comes the Son! Here Comes the Sun
50. Love, love, love. All You Need Is Love

That's it! If you hit If you got more than the bold, italicized headings, we'll call you a fan. If you got thirty or more, you may want to see your doctor about treatment options for Beatlemania. Hope you have enjoyed the show! Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band (Reprise)

No comments:

Both Inspiration and Cautionary Tale: Excerpts from Middling

What follows is an excerpt from the Winter 2021 edition of Middling, my quarterly newsletter on music, books, work, and getting older. I'...