Tuesday, December 15, 2015

You're Welcome, Internet: Ten Years of Loud Time

Today marks my tenth anniversary posting to this blog. I haven't gone to great lengths to publicize it or promote it; I've just posted here and there and shared the links through whatever means were available to me at the time. In the beginning I didn't have Facebook or Twitter or any social media presence, apart from my work blog. Now I don't have a work blog, and in fact blogs may well have run their course. I, of course, blog on, undeterred.

I may, over the course of the next year, repost some of my favorites from the past decade, and when I do you may assume that I've been too lazy to write something new. In any case, I've enjoyed keeping this log of my interactions with books, films, music, and people for ten years. If you've read any of my nearly eight hundred posts, then thanks; if you've commented, God bless you. If you've shared my posts with other people, is there anything I can do for you?

Here's the text of my first post. Enjoy!

***

Long Overdue

It's about time I blogged privately. I've been designated blogger for InterVarsity Press, where I work as an editor, for three years now: I post to Strangely Dim weekly. But I've been wanting to do my own thing, unconstrained by the needs of the press. So here I go.

I've liked the idea of Loud Time for a Long Time. I come from a subculture that puts a lot of emphasis on the Quiet Time as the critical ingredient for spiritual growth. That's all well and good, except that you can only effectively be quiet in isolation, and while occasional isolation is a good thing, most of life is lived in real time with real people.

Enter Loud Time! In this blog I'll blather away about virtually anything, but my chief aim is to borrow wisdom from others and extend both the range and the depth of my relationships. If Loud Time is anything, it is a conviction that God abides with us even when we are not alone--which is perhaps a novel concept--and even when we are not quiet--which is perhaps a controversial subject. We grow together, which to my mind is how God intended it.

2 comments:

Pete said...

I have enjoyed your work over the years and look forward to future posts. I think your first post was an excellent preview of your work and I hope it remains a type of "mission statement" for you and the blog. Best wishes--Pete

Anonymous said...

I don't do facebook & twitter even today.
You say "is there anythig I can do for you" -
are you offering to put out for me in some way - to send me a prize or present - loan me some money, that's alway a friendly thing to do.
Gosh, you are such a generous guy - to a fault - (?) - I was just wondering how much I could take you for.
A fool & his money are soon parted.
A sucker in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Happy Christmas to everyone who knows you.

Both Inspiration and Cautionary Tale: Excerpts from Middling

What follows is an excerpt from the Winter 2021 edition of Middling, my quarterly newsletter on music, books, work, and getting older. I'...