Jenn hit me a while back with this meme:
* Post the rules of the game.
* Tell us about eight random facts/habits about you.
* At the end of the post, choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
* People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things.
* Leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.
So, here goes:
1. I met Naughty by Nature and Little Richard on the same day. Little Richard rode the same elevator as me, promised to bring David Bowie to hear my jazz combo that night (they didn't show up), and generally gave me the willies. Naughty by Nature ("You down with OPP? Yeah you know me!") hired my bass-player friend to lay down a bass riff which they may or may not have ultimately used. They told us Little Richard was a weird dude.
2. I bite my nails. A lot. Drives people crazy.
3. My first editorial feedback was that I don't share enough of myself in my writing, and I've been overcompensating ever since.
4. I'm the middle child in my family--the second son of a second son. As a consequence, I have what I like to call "sidekick syndrome." I frequently situate myself in relationships in which I function as the sidekick; eventually I grow to resent the disparity and try to break out on my own. This is, incidentally, the life's journey of the first superhero I actively emulated, Robin, the Boy Wonder sidekick to Batman who eventually became Nightwing. You can see me dressed as Robin in a Halloween photograph from my childhood in the back of my book Comic Book Character.
5. I'm more of a music geek than I am a comic book geek--as unlikely as that may seem.
6. I'm cheap. Case in point: for the past month my PDA has been broken, so that I can't read anything onscreen. For the first month I was waiting till I could get a deal on a phone with PDA functioning through my cell phone service; now I'm waiting till my anniversary at work (next month) in the hopes that they'll buy a PDA phone for me.
7. I prefer reading books by authors who are dead over books by authors who are living. (No offense, living authors!) Not sure what that says about me.
8. This was hard.
OK, eight people to tag: How about Lilies Have Dreams, Please Pass the Cheese, Carolyn, Margaretta Musings, Owen, and three to be named later.