Sunday, October 05, 2008

"Truly Swell"

Deliver Us from Me-Ville got a nice review in Worship Leader Magazine this month. Here's an excerpt:

Zimmerman uses history, theology, philosophy and culture to make this book astonishingly refreshing and helpful. . . . You will find yourself identifying with characters that used to only be words on a page, and the sense of community that Zimmerman draws us to will suddenly extend past our home and into the First Century. His words truly swell up contemplation in our hearts. . . . He is a compelling storyteller as well as an intelligent theologian whose words will deliver us all from the small village of pride we have each built for ourselves.


I'm blushing. I also read of a pastor who's thinking about the personal exercises in the book ("escape routes") in the context of the mission of the church, and of a woman who's reading the book with her spiritual director. In the interest of fairness, I've also been told by at least one person that the book made her feel guilty. I'd love to hear from you about how you've interacted with the book--either positively or negatively. You can post a comment here, write on the wall of the Facebook group, or e-mail me. Take your best shot; I can take it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't ordered it yet.
TAKE THAT!!

Anonymous said...

But I will soon.
TAKE THAT!!

Anonymous said...

I just placed my order on Amazon.com.
TAKE THAT!!

Anonymous said...

Dave,
I was just wondering if you were indeed, TAKING THAT!! ?

David Zimmerman said...

Ouch--quit it. Ouch--quit it. Ouch--quit it. Ouch--quit it.

L.L. Barkat said...

Kind of fun to see you blush. : )

David Zimmerman said...

There's a first time for everything, L. L. Hope you're well-well.

Anonymous said...

...and the book is swell, swell?

Anonymous said...

I am reading "Deliever". I can't read it in one sitting which I think is the point. It is very challenging. I never really thought I thought of myself that much. I do. I am looking at buying this for my worship teams next year. This is a must read for church leaders, especially for those who are on a platform each week.

Both Inspiration and Cautionary Tale: Excerpts from Middling

What follows is an excerpt from the Winter 2021 edition of Middling, my quarterly newsletter on music, books, work, and getting older. I'...