Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Blessed Are Those Who Mourn

Lately I've had my head stuck in the Beatitudes, a series of blessings pronounced by Jesus at the beginning of his sermon on the mount. My pastor is preaching on them, our drama troupe is exploring them in two translations, and I'm reading a book on them (Unexpected Blessing by Fuller Seminary professor Cameron Lee. Right now--probably because I'm so naturally morose--I'm stuck on "Blessed are those who mourn." Here's a little piece of Cameron Lee's thoughts:

When we see evidence of human brokenness, does it affect us at all? If not, one thing we can do is to recognize how the culture we live in encourages a look-the-other-way attitude. In such a world, mourning can be subversive.


You know me, I love to be subversive.

No comments:

Both Inspiration and Cautionary Tale: Excerpts from Middling

What follows is an excerpt from the Winter 2021 edition of Middling, my quarterly newsletter on music, books, work, and getting older. I'...