Friday, June 01, 2007

Road Trip

Happy Friday, Happy June. Later this month I'm going to be driving crosscountry with my mother, my father, and my best friend from high school, Web. I'm reminded of a Jim Gaffigan comedy routine, where two sets of friends are about to meet at a social gathering. Jim talks about the delicacy of mixing our social networks: "They don't know I drink. . . . Oh, and don't be freaked out if I speak with a British accent."

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out if there's anything Web knows that my parents don't, and vice versa. But it should be a lot of fun. Any advice?

4 comments:

Web said...

To answer your question -- yes, I believe that I do know a few things about you that your parents may not know... and I'm pretty sure you have some dirt on me too. But all of that stuff is from a time when we were young and immature. Now we're older and wiser - so I'm assuming that those subjects will not come up. But we will be in the same car for 12 or so hours...

Anonymous said...

Dave: You're a thirty-something man, now. While you should respect your parents, you don't need to fear them. So, when you get into the car, pull out a big stogey, light it and fill the car with smoke. That'll set all things in their right place.

Anonymous said...

RE: The big Stogey.
Dave, if that happens, your place will be the luggage rack on top, ala American Vacation. And I hope it rains for the whole trip.

Dad

Web said...

Perhaps I will leave my stogies at home...

Both Inspiration and Cautionary Tale: Excerpts from Middling

What follows is an excerpt from the Winter 2021 edition of Middling, my quarterly newsletter on music, books, work, and getting older. I'...